As with pretty much everything I do, this ended up being far more of an undertaking than I expected, but it's finally here.
For the main twelve episodes, the subtitles are based on zang's (Cthuko, edited [lightly, mostly changes to TS] by Tsunshun), with heavy modifications.
I made comparisons between pretty much all available subs (zang, SallySubs, Commie, HS, Chihiro [the only non-HS TL, but only 01-03]), and I cherrypicked some edits before making my own revisions.
For the six BD specials, the body of previous work was smaller, but the process was similar.
kBaraka's subs (don't recall exactly which release I found them in) were used as a base, and they were compared with SallySubs and the PGS subs (presumably from the USBD).
A couple typesets were also lifted from MK's release, as were ED lyrics (edited somewhat).
For the DVD special, I used [my previous release](https://nyaa.si/view/1099896) as a base.
This episode's never had an official translation, and I didn't want to repeat the ordeal of figuring out the genealogy of the existing releases (which seem to all trace back to /u/platypus364's TL from Spanish), so this was *mostly* just proofreading on top of my previous work.
The dialogue style is a slightly fancier version of Cthuko's/zang's.
The OP and ED lyrics also look (mostly) like those releases, although the translations have been edited/redone.
In episode 12, (the second verse of) the OP plays as an insert, so its lyrics aren't on the default track(s), but they've been included on an additional pair of tracks.
These subs have all been subject to an excessive amount of proofreading, so I hope my changes have been for the better.
Many of the signs have been improved, and a handful of missing signs have been added.
A few, most notably "DEATH" in 05, the fanmail in 09, and *every title/teaser card*, have been entirely redone.
Some of the typesets in zang's release were sloppy, and I did what I could to touch them up, but it's not perfect.
I don't pretend to be a master typesetter, and any further effort from my current self might've made things worse.
Notable localization decisions include:
* The names of the psychic sisters, the celebrity hero, and the heroic bicyclist are all their less-localized versions.
* This affects very few signs, but the signs track is consistent with the dub.
* The sisters' full hero names are localized using the non-Viz renditions.
* City names are consistently formatted "City X".
* Hero classes are consistently "Class X" as nouns and "X-class" as adjectives.
* The blond cyborg is referred to as an apprentice rather than a disciple or student.
* To match the dub, this change is only on the dialogue track; the signs track refers to him as a disciple.
* Our protagonist is just a guy who's a hero for fun.
* Don't talk to me or my catchphrase ever again.
Video and audio for the main series and BD specials were all taken directly from Kametsu's release, which uses Beatrice video and FLAC audio.
For the Road to Hero DVD special, I'm still using UCCUSS's raw. I got my hands on what I think is an untouched DVD ISO, but I don't pretend to know the first thing about making an encode, so I didn't bother.
Recommended viewing order:
* 01 - The Strongest Man
* 02 - The Lone Cyborg
* OVA1 - The Shadow That Snuck Up Too Close
* 03 - The Obsessive Scientist
* OVA2 - The Apprentice Who Sucks at Storytelling
* 04 - The Modern Ninja
* 05 - The Ultimate Mentor
* OVA3 - The Overly-Complicated Ninja
* 06 - The Terrifying City
* OAD - Road to Hero
* 07 - The Greatest Apprentice
* OVA4 - Bang, Who is Too Overbearing
* 08 - The Deep Sea King
* 09 - Unyielding Justice
* OVA5 - The Sisters With Too Much Going On
* 10 - Unparalleled Peril
* 11 - The Dominator of the Universe
* 12 - The Strongest Hero
* OVA6 - The Murder Case That Was Too Impossible
Thanks for reading!